Friday, October 30, 2009

Leticia

After getting off of the River Boat up the Amazon we got a taxi to Leticia, Colombia. This is a small town in the Amazon Basin that a lot of jungle trip take off from. We spent only one night here and
caught a flight to Bogota the next day.

We stayed in Mahatu Jungle Hostel, in an upstairs cabana similar to the cabanas that we stayed in during our honeymoon in Nicaragua. The stay was cheap and the owner friendly.

Staying in Leticia only one night, we didn't expect to see jungle wildlife. However we were pleasantly surprised to see some jungle animals that had turned into city inhabitants. Huge flocks of parrots lived in the city trees. You could here them from blocks away, there bright green color was quite beautiful as well. Also there was a small rodent that scurried about the hostel yard, called a Black Agouti (Dasyprocta fuliginosa) a smaller version of the capybara. He was cool to see!

The day in Leticia was hot and humid but the night was quite pleasant in the cabana. In the morning I found keeping cookies in my bag proved to be a horrible idea. Ants infested my daybag, books, journal. I couldn't get rid of them all, some flew to Bogota with us. The worst part is that these hungry ants ate right through some of my undergarments, leaving a string-cheese look. I truly did find ants in my underpants at lunch that day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Elisha- How funny!!! I'm sure it wasn't as funny to you at the time but I had to laugh outloud reading about the ants in your underpants!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Currently traveling through South America