Saturday, February 20, 2010

Punta Arenas

After getting back from the trail we had showers and some tasty pizza and microbrew beers at a local pizza joint in Puerto Natales. We bought tickets to Punta Arenas for the next morning. In Punta Arenas the boys decided that they just had to take another boat further south the the town of Puerto Williams. The boat only left certain days, so we ended up killing a lot of time in Punta Arenas. Fortunately we had a clean room with wi-fi and cable TV. I've gotten to just love "The Big Bang Theory" when we get a chance to watch it.

The main event in Punta Arenas is going to see the enormous Magellanic Penguin Colony. Unfortunately we bought the tickets to Isla Magdalena for a rainy day. The penguins didn't seem to mind the rain any though, they were just as active: waddling, diving, fishing and making a surprisingly loud honk. We spent an hour on the island just watching, photographing and video taping these awkward little creatures. I do have to admit that the air was not that fresh. There was a strongly unpleasant stench of penguin poo I suppose. The excursion was worth the money though, we saw more penguins than I'd ever thought I'd see in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Currently traveling through South America