Monday, November 23, 2009

Cusco


I'm sorry that this update has taken so long...I've been hesitant to write it because I feel only negative things toward Cusco, but am perplexed when looking back at our lovely pictures and I just can't understand how I couldn't like the city...here it is:

Cusco, Peru is a beautiful city, full of Incan architecture and beautiful Spanish cathedrals as well. Plaza de Armas is tended very carefully full of lush green grass and lovely flowers. Narrow cobblestone streets take you to numerous restraunts and shops. Whatever you need, you can probably buy in in Cusco.

The thing that made it miserable for me was the constantly badgering touts. From sun up till' into the night they try their hardest to sell you anything they can. They are relentless! Once told 'no', they continue on with 'why not my friend' and offer varios other things you have no interest in. They sell everything from massages, manicures, 'maybe alpaca' hats, scarves and whatever else you might not want. The vending never ends. We had to sneak into the hostal at times to escape the noise and hoards of people.

You might be reading this thinking how coarse and mean of me to think these things. Peruvians overall are very poor, this is their only way of making money. It's true have become hardened to these unfortunate circumstances. But I challenge you to spend a week amidst the chaos and not feel similarly!

Needless to say the town is beautiful, but a horrible tourist trap. And you can buy all of the authentic 'baby' alpaca clothing you want, and then the 'maybe' alpaca stuff for much less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Currently traveling through South America