Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Attack of the Flying Ants

Two nights ago when I mentioned that I was eaten by bugs at night I was not mistaken. Last night at about 2 am I woke up just fed up with the bug bites. I rifled through my pack to pull out the silk sleeping bag liner that I thought would serve as a layer between me and the bed bugs. After a little while of that and still more creepy crawlies I pulled out the head lamp to see what was getting me. Flying Ants were jumping all over the sheets and pillow, floor, ceiling and walls. Sleeping beauty, Josh finally woke up from his slumber to help squash some of the ants. We probably killed over 200, it´s 3 am. All I can think about is how I will tolerate being back in the states working without josh. I tell him I am not cut out for this jungle life like him, showing him all the bites I have up and down my arms and legs...he has not a single bite to show.
The ants were attracted to the light, like all other bugs. (we´re not really sure if they are ants, but they do fly and they look sort of like ants). Our hostel has open windows with bars over them and openings in the cement at the ceiling. None of the places here use actual windows unless they have air condition, which apparently is rare. Anyway, a light has been left on all night right outside of one of these opening in the cement near the ceiling of our room. That is where we believe the bugs entered. So tonight we´ll put up the mosquito net again, like Josh ended up doing in the middle of last night and we´ll ask if they could shut off that light outside our windows as well. Hopefully less bug bites tonight.
I´m still thinking about getting a flight back to the US though, these sweaty days, dirty bathrooms, bug filled nights, frequent diarrhea and stomach pain leaves something fierce to be desired...

6 comments:

  1. wanted to mention one more thing,although the flying ants were unpleasant it wasn't as bad as the mattresses reeking of urine at hotel holiday in cartagena, or sink crashing to pieces while i was showering. joys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you'll have some great stories to tell your kids someday!! Hopefully you have some benadryl?? and hydrocortisone? and bug spray? and ice packs??? We miss you at Helens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Elisha- it should get easier, right? Easy for me to say though, sitting in my living room. We're looking forward to seeing you in Peru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness!! i hope things are getting better elisha! i'm hoping you two are having a fabulous anniversary today!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Currently traveling through South America