Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tayrona, Colombia's most popular national park

Just got back from Tayrona National Park. The first day into the park was quite a hike, they took our rum at the entry also and gave us a phony reciept and said we would be able to redeem the liquor upon our departure...3 days later they had no idea what we were talking about. Back to the hike in, SO HARD...It kicked my butt and I wasn't quite about it, sorry Josh and Dusty.

Tyrona is very much jungle and then beautiful beach. Exotic plants, flowers, lizards and crabs, very different than we see in Michigan. We ended up staying in what looks like a sweet tree house high up on a rocky ledge overlooking the sea. (pictures coming soon) We slept in hammocks very close to each other and near other travelers. After a goodnights sleep I was able to enjoy the awesome beach, we had a lovely day and ended up staying 2 more nights.

The 2nd night we went through the most horrible and awesome thunder storm I've experienced. Being the highest point on the beach I was terrified of the wooden house being struck by lightening and starting on fire. Josh and Dusty and the British travelers up there were just loving the storm though, and I was a bit...but fear and homesickness were overpowering the excitement of the storm for me. Long story short, the storm settled at 1 am or so and we were able to fall sleep in our wet hammocks and semi wet clothes shortly thereafter.

Thank goodness we got our yellow fever shots, I am covered in mosquito bite welts the size of nickles, almost quarters. Besides that my mood is better, I will keep on with this crazy traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Currently traveling through South America